Mad Students: Call for Zine submissions
Mad Students: Organizing, Community and Calls to Action
We have been working with two of our project collaborators, Alise de Bie (Canada) and Lieve Carette (Belgium), to help formulate this new Call for Contributions for a Mad Students Zine.
This zine invites submissions from Mad* and neurodivergent students that offer creative and critical alternatives to typical approaches to ‘student mental health’ and neurodiversity.
It will be organized on the following theme:
Mad student* organizing, community building, and associated recommendations for learning and teaching in postsecondary/higher education.
All current or former students (1) from colleges and universities who (2) identify with madness, addiction, and/or neurodivergence are welcome to submit.
Submission deadline: May 1, 2021
The zine seeks to:
- Gather examples that inspire, encourage, and support Mad student organizing.
2. Provoke discussion and exchange on the following questions:
- What are Mad students doing to advocate, resist oppression, support each other, and/or to build community in colleges and universities?
- What has Mad student organizing, advocacy, or community meant to those involved?
- How are Mad students connecting to broader Mad/peer-based movements, communities, and histories beyond “campus”?
- How are Mad students influencing what is taught about mental health, addiction, and neurodiversity and the ways colleges and universities address students’ mental health needs?
- Emerging from these creative alternatives, what inspirations, provocations and recommendations do Mad students have for postsecondary/higher education learning and teaching, professors, staff, and fellow students?
- What do Mad students want the future of learning and teaching to look like? What needs to change?
3. Identify and link Mad student initiatives in different local, regional, national, and temporal contexts and
4. Create an output that can connect and enrich debates and initiatives in the area of ‘student mental health’ and provide a jumping off point for future initiatives.
To find out more about when and how to submit:
Download Call for Submissions
Contact the Zine Team at [email protected]
with any questions
to chat through initial ideas
and to tell us you’re out there (!) so we can
connect Mad student initiatives.